ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS TOWARDS THE OFFICIAL LICENSING AND OPENING OF ST. IGNATIUS UNIVERSITY KABALE
INTRODUCTION: Kabale Diocese has passionately established quality education institutions from Nursery schools onwards as one of its evangelical strategies of liberating people from ignorance and of proclaiming the Gospel.
In a bid to further strengthen this formal education, the stakeholders requested to establish a private University in the Diocese. This request was blessed and embraced by the Bishop who accordingly set up a steering committee to spearhead the founding of a private university.
APPOINTMENT: The Bishop appointed members of the Steering Committee on August 24, 2021 with the following terms of reference.
- To study and develop a Corporate Identity Profile of the desired University for Kabale Diocese.
- To assess the existing infrastructure and identify the teaching and learning infrastructure needs of the new University in view of meeting the NCHE requirements.
- To identify the possible sources of income and carry out fundraising drives for the University.
- To establish management best practices in governing the university.
- To market the University to the different stakeholders and well-wishers locally, nationally, and internationally.
- To develop relevant academic programs and Management Policy Manuals.
- To set plans and strategies for the recruitment of students and suitable Academic Staff.
- To engage NCHE in view of obtaining both a Letter of Interim Authority and a Provisional License to start the new University.
- To handle any other duties deemed necessary both by the committee and the Appointing Authority to advance the university.
ACHIEVEMENTS: The Steering Committee started activities on Monday 6th September 2021. It is now a year since the committee started its work on the assigned project. The activities so far undertaken include the following:
- Naming the University Project: The proposed university is named ST. IGNATIUS UNIVERSITY KABALE. The name is duly approved by National Council for Higher Education (NCHE) and registered with Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB).
- University Logo and Address: The University Logo, Emails and Website are set and are functional.
- University’s Corporate Identity Profile: St. Ignatius University’s Corporate Identity Profile statements which include: Name, Vision, Mission, Philosophy, Objectives, Values and Motto have been approved by NCHE.
- Letter of Interim Authority: National Council for Higher Education (NCHE) has granted us the Letter of Interim Authority. This letter gives us official mandate to publicly mobilize funds, acquire requisite infrastructures and academic facilities, organize academic and administrative human infrastructure as well as do any other thing that may further the development of the proposed University to maturity.
- Communication to Stakeholders: Official communication to Stakeholders in and outside the Diocese of the ongoing preparations to establish St. Ignatius University was done by the Bishop in a circular letter dated 23/08/2022.
- Land Title Processing: The title of the land upon which the university is to be established has been processed.
- Programs and Policies: Relevant academic programs and Management Policy Manuals are in advanced stages of development.
- Assessment of Existing Infrastructure: The Committee assessed the capacity of the existing infrastructure and found it has seven (7) lecture rooms, two hundred simple lecture room chairs, 10 desktop computers and about 500 books in the Library.
REQUIREMENTS: The Committee noted that the following need to be done:
- The existing buildings need renovations. (Fixing the leaking roofs, and ceiling in three lecture rooms which do not have ceiling; replacing wooden doors which are destroyed by termites; tiling the floors and verandas; Purchasing and installing thunder arresters and fire extinguishers; constructing ramps for disabled students on each entry to lecture rooms and offices).
- Purchasing key Reference Books for the Library and Computers for use in accessing E-Learning resources.
- Furnishing the Computer Laboratory with computers for training in ICT.
- Providing adequate furniture and computers in the Staff Room for Lecturers’ use.
- Establishing a Students Welfare Office with the necessary furnishings.
- Providing basic furniture and equipment in all Administration offices. Purchasing a standby Generator.
- Purchasing Projectors and White Boards, and installing sockets in all lecture halls.
- Providing Means of Transport to the University
- Urgently roof and complete the unfinished storeyed building which will provide the much needed lecture rooms, offices and basic sanitation facilities.
From the above findings, the committee realized that an investment of 3BN is required to improve the campus’ physical infrastructure, purchase educational materials/equipment and install required security gadgets.
The quicker we put in place the above requirements (a – i), the quicker NCHE will grant to us the Provisional License to officially recruit students and start academic work.
APPEAL: It is in the above context that I wholeheartedly appeal to you to lend a hand to us in this noble project as we endeavor to qualitatively contribute to the long cherished vision of transforming and industrializing our country, the Great lakes region and Africa by offering quality and holistic university education.
We gladly accept any donations/contributions such as professional ideas, books, computers, projectors, photocopiers, furniture, building materials, vehicles, Volunteer Professionals, and funds to name but afew.
For any correspondences, you may use any of the following:
Postal Address: St. Ignatius University Project Kabale
P. O. Box 884, Kabale
Phone Contacts: +256 772 480 021/ +256 772 996 991
+ 256 703 097 930/ +256 785 809 121
For any financial contributions, you may use any of the following:
Mobile Money: +256 772 480021/+256 772 996 991
You can forward it directly to the university’s bank account below.
Name of Bank: Centenary Rural Development Bank
Address: P. O. Box 385, Kabale, Uganda.
Street: Plot 129, Kabale Road.
Account Name: St. Ignatius University Kabale
Account Number: 3100094121
SWIFT Code: CERBUGKA
“I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver. Always give without remembering and always receive without forgetting. Giving does not only precede receiving; it is the reason for it. It’s easier to take than to give, and No one has ever become poor from giving”.
May the provident God bless your charitable contributions towards this University.